Where Nightmare’s
Reign
What if you couldn't tell
what was real?
And tangible things had no
feel,
But use reality's blinds
to conceal...
Your sister suddenly
disappears –
No-one saw a single thing
–
But you find her dress and
bloodied shears.
You walk through a garden of flowers,
And slip into sinking sand –
An unseen hole where you fall for hours.
Your family dog, a lifelong friend,
Transforms into a rabid wolf.
You're forced to kill it; not pretend.
Then you awake, and all is back,
but you have an awkward feeling,
since you're tied to a railroad track.
As the engine closes in,
You flee at full speed, and look behind
To see the devil with a morbid grin.
You trip over a corpse and
scream
and struggle away from the
evil
to find yourself in bed, a
dream.
Daring yourself to awake,
You step into the familiar
hall,
and everything begins to
shake.
The house splits into two
And a trench opens
beneath, falling,
the heat increases to
burn you.
Fire licks and teeth bite
both your feet
You cannot escape
no-matter
how you shake and tear the
bed sheet.
Back out on the lamp-lit
street,
Where jack-o-lanterns
smile in the dark,
You go door-to-door to
trick-or-treat.
Not knowing what they put
inside
the candy bits, you bite
one open,
and poison seeps in like a
tide.
It crashes over you:
drowned.
Pulling you under:
suffocation.
Until you cannot hear a
sound.
Screams erupt with a
sounding boom,
And you throw yourself to
dry ground,
Discovering a
zombie-filled tomb.
Undead attack of all size
and shape.
You run along car-infested
streets
And realize it's all real:
No escape.
If no chills have run from
your brain,
Know that you're probably
insane,
And can't see the place
where nightmares reign.
I wrote this poem for the “Young
Writers Association’s Scary Writing Contest”. I had to write
something scary, but not gory in 300 words or less. I started by
writing a couple short stories, but soon found that my writing was
strange and weird, not scary. So, I decided to
try another approach. I wrote this poem, aiming more for creepy,
rather than scary, but hoped it would give chills. Reading the poem
now, it still doesn’t quite accomplish that unless you think about
what the underlying idea is…
When I began writing this, I decided
to make as many three line stanzas as would amount to 300 words, with
the last words of the 1st and 3rd lines in each
stanza rhyming. (I later changed the format for the first and final stanzas so that all three lines rhyme. I thought it added an extra flourish and sounded cool too.) I ended up with 16 stanzas, but my simple structure didn't quite fit what I wanted.
After about 5 stanzas, I saw that I had only succeeded in writing somewhat
random creepy thoughts, but the stanzas had no links to each other.
Re-reading the few that I had, I realized that I could link each
stanza to the next, simply by putting an idea at the end of one,
which I continued into the next.
For example: the “shears” at the
end of the 2nd would be used in the “garden” of the
3rd. The “hole” in the 3rd could have been
made by the “dog” in the 4th. “Pretend” in the 4th
contrasts sharply with the “awake”-ning from a dream in the 5th, etc.
At the point when I was working on the 14th stanza, I decided I needed to re-evaluate
what the point of my poem was. Could it be more than a
collection of creepy incidents? So starting around stanza 14, the lines became more complicated.
Stanza 14 continues from 13 as if the flood carried you under water and threw you up
into a deserted cavern, which reveals itself as a “tomb”. The tomb
comes to life in 15, since they are almost always filled with “undead” anyway. 15
then reveals that it really was all to real-life, everyone in the
world is dead (or undead), and there is “no escape” from that
life… a true nightmare.
My poem was finished. If anyone read the poem for what it was
truelly saying, they would see past the semi-random incidents and see
the deeper point. I knew that the poem wasn’t necessarily scary by
itself, so maybe it wouldn’t cause “chills”, but I told my
readers that if they could “see” what our world for what it really is
(with all its horrible problems as exagerated in the body of the
poem), they would come to realize that we live in a place
“where nightmares reign”.
Once that was discovered, we must ask ourselves, is this all life is? "Reality's blinds" might decieve us for a little while so that we cannot see what our lives are, but unless we're insane we can't go through life without asking, "is there nothing more?" This poem is meant to inspire that question, the answer to which should make us embrace our broken world all the more.
No comments:
Post a Comment